By Admin on Fri 10 February 2017 in Water Filtration FAQ's
Ultra Violet water treatment systems or UV sterilisation is unlike other conventional water treatment solution.
It is not a filter, as it doesn’t actually remove anything from water. Instead, a UV light is emitted, destroying the DNA of any pathogens that cross its path such as viruses and bacteria. UV is a clean, safe, easy and cost effective way of treating your water. If used correctly it can destroy 99.99% of all pathogens it comes into contact with.
UV disinfection is a cost effective way of treating your water supply. Although, in the initial stages it is more expensive than alternatives such as chlorination, this expense is soon recouped over the units lifespan as low maintenance and low intervention is required to keep the system up and running. UV Bulbs require replacement annually if the system is in constant use. This can be limited to bi-yearly if the system is used more sporadically or up to 6 months of the year. The only consumable costs to keep the unit up and running is 30-48W electricity costs and bulb replacement.
A UV disinfection system works by emitting UV light into an enclosed chamber. Any water passed through the chamber will also pass through the UV light. Once the UV light has had enough contact time, any bacteria, viruses or pathogens contained within the water will have been disabled. The UV light emits powerful rays that work to destroy the DNA of living cells rendering it a powerful tool in neutralising pathogens.
Natural water sources are usually contaminated with various different micro-organisms such as viruses, bacteria and cysts, all of which can be harmful if ingested, particularly to the young, elderly or those who have a compromised immune system. These types of water sources therefore require some form of water treatment before use. Surface, borehole or well water is a prime example and are ideal for UV sterilisation. UV sterilisation is the main method used within the industry for actually killing bacteria.
There are many other technologies available, which remove particles down to =1µm. These technologies can be more expensive and may actually remove more than you require such as valuable minerals that help with taste.